Sew It Up, a modern manual of practical and decorative sewing techniques. Signed copy
This is Ruth's first book, published in 2008 and covers pretty much everything a beginner or intermediate stitcher needs to know, from inserting zips to creating decorative edging. This book is aimed at dressmakers and includes a few advanced techniques like couture hems along with all the basics on construction, although not tailoring techniques such as pockets or plackets. There is also a large section on decorative techniques including fabric manipulation, decorative pleating and much more. 20 projects give you opportunities to practice the techniques and there is a strong emphasis on recycling and making do.
• Drafting a bespoke circular skirt pattern
• An easy patchwork needle book
• Adding edging and backing to a blanket
• Making the ruffled corsage on the cover
• A simple child's toy
• Pinstriped pincushion with ribbon edging
• Quilted table mats
• Silk scarf with gathered detail
• A cushion using Trapunto quilting technique
• Pieced fabric pillowcases
• A wool tweed handbag with lined, oval pockets
• A well-fitting apron made from upcycled shirts
• Basic curtains
Please note this book is the same as The Sewing Bible, which is the American edition with the same content but Imperial measurements.